Friday, June 19, 2015

KVLT Classic

Yesterday, after days and days of stuffy weather, the clouds settled over the city like the feathery hind-ends of concerned grey hens, and the rain began to descend once more. This blessed relief was short-lived, however, since today has been another bright, blazing one. Still, I suppose that onto every life, a little sun must fall.

It's interesting that the weather changed yesterday, since it was also the day on which I decided that I too need to change the way in which I've been behaving and interacting with others.

 In an effort to not sit around tonight and mull obsessively over my various mistakes and shortcomings, I'm busting out my indestructible steel toe boots (for which I spent nearly $200 back in 1996, but who's laughing NOW, mom?), and heading out to see the AGALLOCH show with Curtis. This is pretty big for me, since it's going to involve interacting with other members of the human race - albeit, said humans will be comprised of a crowd of skulking black metal fans with hoodies pulled solemnly over their heads. Interaction, in fact, will be blessedly minimal.

It's vitally important at this type of event to appear as completely disinterested as possible. Woe betide you if you have too enthusiastic a conversation with anyone. And cracking a smile is pretty much social suicide. Instead, it is highly recommended that you stand in a slouchy position and stare straight ahead with detached apathy, pretending that some kind of esoteric meaning exists behind ad nauseum, doomy 6/8 ballads with an occasional Augmented 2nd for extra witchy appeal, because no one has EVER done that before.

 If you're a female black metal fan at one of these shows, you have the added advantage of being basically a unicorn. You get to perch somewhere at the back of the room like an Abyssinian cat, surveying the premises with cool detachment and casting looks of disdain at any lowly male who dares attempt to gaze upon your ratty jean vest and the many crudely-stitched patches emblazoned thereon. 

At the very least, I will have fun with my own thoughts. Also, I'm kind of interested in seeing Helen Money perform. And there will be beer. Sweet, sweet beer, nepenthe for all that ails.

No comments:

Post a Comment